17 April 2012

Bluestacks, an Android emulator, lets you play apps and games on your PC!

Well, technically it's not an emulator but a virtual Machine. In the end that doesn't matter though. :)

Bluestacks lets you run almost any Android app or game on your PC. I killed a lot of time with Drag Racing and Angry Birds Space. :) If you need some kind of multi-touch controls try experimenting around with the keyboard. A lot of standard user interfaces seem to be mapped to the keyboard. That way you can use keyboard and mouse like you would anyway on a PC.

At this time it's still in beta but already runs like a charm. It crashes maybe once a week but I'm sure that's not as annoying as real phones telling you that their Battery is getting low.

Until it is officialy released it's completely free to use. After that it will cost some money but it should still cost much much less than a new Tablet or Phone.

If you want to give it a try you can download it here.

Should you own a Mac and be interested, the developers have said they're working on a Mac-version as well.

All in all I'm really excited about this and I'm looking forward to the actual release.

If you want to get in touch with the team behind Bluestacks you can do that best over Twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/bluestacksinc



Customization


You will probably see that a part of Bluestacks, the RocketDock, gets autostarted with Windows. Although I love Bluestacks, this thing annoyed me, because I found exactly no use for it. I got rid of it after killing the process "RocketDock.exe" and renaming the exe itself in "C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Local\BlueStacks\RocketDock\" to "RocketDock.meh"

Other than that I can see that some of you could get annoyed that you "have to" login to Bluestacks with your Facebook account. Well you actually don't. You only need to do that if you want to synchronize Bluestacks with an actual android device you already own. Because I don't own an android phone I could not test the cloud functionality of Bluestacks.

If you want to change the path of the SDCard -file Bluestacks uses you can change that in the registry under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BlueStacks\Guests\Android\BlockDevice\2\". There are other options you can fiddle around with, like the resolution of the Bluestacks window while it is not in fullscreen mode.

Also you should get yourself another launcher because the default one is at this moment a bit lackluster. I'm using the AWDLauncher.


6 comments:

World Wide Raps said...

I have to try it out

Antechno said...

nice share...

PostingSembarang said...

what keyboard that maps multitouch? i am using only 1 mouse

Unknown said...

I don't know, I don't know. My friends from https://woxapp.com build their own android app emulator and I'm able to run at any Windows machine any APK file. With your emulator I had some troubles and didn't manage to start this Bluestacks.

Anonymous said...

No doubt this is an excellent post I got a lot of knowledge after reading good luck. Theme of blog is excellent there is almost everything to read, Brilliant post. top android emulators

Eliza Beth said...

In these challenging economic times, it is imperative to undertake the proper care and feeding of the Golden Goose. In this article the author lays out specific guidelines on how best to prioritize capital expenditures to maintain competitiveness while also growing market shares and penetration rates. dominoqq

Post a Comment

You have something to say? Just do it! No Registration needed.